Jim Gott

Default Shallow and Deep Gouge Difference??

I only own shallow gouges and plan to do alot of end turning, bowls
especially, and wonder what advantage does a deep bowl gouge offer over
a shallow gouge. BRBR

You definitely want a bowl gouge for going inside on bowls. There is much more
mass to the tool, for one thing, which gives you greater stability. The deep
flute of a bowl gouge is also more condusive to cutting on the inside. It takes
great skill to get away with a spindle gouge on the inside of a bowl. A bowl
gouge is much safer. There is a reason they make bowl gouges for bowls. I use a
bowl gouge for both inside and outside of bowls, going to spindle gouges only
for fine details.
Raffan's book "Turning Wood" explains the geometry of tool cutting better than
I can, and why a bowl gouge is made for bowls.
-Jim Gott-
San Jose, CA