Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] ggherold@gmail.com is offline

Default WAY OT, Black hole questions

On Wednesday, June 25, 2014 5:00:23 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Wed, 25 Jun 2014 09:12:12 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

snip

3.) Well at this point I'm totally stuck. (as I think most people are.) We don't have any idea how to deal the event horizon. It's kinda outside all our physics ideas, maybe another beer is a good idea!
4.) Then coming at the event horizon from the other side.. well there is still this "no time" point.

And now back to my soldering iron.

George H.

--

Tim Wescott

Wescott Design Services

http://www.wescottdesign.com

Thanks for the book suggestion. I'll look it up. As for photons being
stopped by the whatever if they don't experience time I don't see how
that is a problem. As gravity gets stronger the path the photon takes
gets more and more curved. Eventually the path is curved to the point
that the path curves back into the black hole. Where, I assume, the
photon is absorbed and converted into some other form of energy or
matter. Maybe just energy. I'm not clear as to whether matter can
exsist inside a black hole. Maybe just degenerate matter.
Eric

Yeah, well that curving back bit is the key, the only way to get a photon
to curve back is for space/time to curve back on itself.
So it's closed from the inside,
and must be closed from the outside too.
(though it's harder to see how it looks from the outside.)
But I'm way beyond anything I can claim to understand.

I'm not sure you can talk about what's going on inside.
Once space/time is closed off, it's kinda gone...
though the gravity is still there.

George H.
(Oh if you like Feynman, then splurge and get yourself
the Feynman lectures on physics.. three volumes..
some of my favorite winter reading.
It's heavy duty physics, which he makes look easy.)