Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 4140

On Wednesday, June 25, 2014 2:23:31 PM UTC-4, PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

Yes, Dan, a qualified laboratory can perform an assay on scrap alloy and certify it's findings as to mechanical and chemical properties, after which point it is no longer scrap.

Your point is what, exactly?

My local scrap yard has an Oxford XFR and will use it on any metal that I want to know what alloy it is. It is a portable instrument and checking some metal takes less than a minute, well maybe two minutes if you count getting it out of its case.

My point is that identifying a metal can be quick and easy. May not be cheap. I have not asked how much it cost and how much it costs to get it calibrated every year. I will try to remember to ask about the costs the next time I go by there. My best guess is maybe $1 per test. That is assuming they use it about 4 times a day or 1000 times a year.

Dan