Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.design
DannyD. DannyD. is offline

Default Actual price/gallon for 12% Hasa Pool Chlorine (for SMS and theSilicon Valley)

Oren wrote, on Wed, 25 Jun 2014 07:24:12 -0700:

I was hoping you would mention the % of concentrated
Clorox un-scented bleach :-\

Hi Oren,

Huckleberries are, um, I mean bleach is a strange beast indeed, which,
I admit, is confusing because, while chlorinating liquid is usually
sold by *trade percentage*, in contrast, a regular bleach is usually
sold by *weight percentage* of product (i.e., of sodium hypochlorite).

So 8.25% bleach (sold by weight % of sodium hypochlorite) is only
7.86% available chlorine (by weight), and, assuming a 1.10 g/ml density,
this is 9.08% trade percentage (i.e., % Available Chlorine by volume).

Similarly, a typical 6% bleach is 6% sodium hypochlorite by weight, which
is only 5.7% available chlorine.

Hence, the two equations:
1. Cost per pound of available chlorine for liquid chlorine:
$cost/gallon x 1gallon/9.7pounds x 100pounds of liquid/10.78pounds available chlorine

2. Cost per pound of available chlorine for liquid bleach:
$cost/gallon x 1gallon/9.0pounds x 100pounds of liquid/5.7 pounds available chlorine

Sometimes things are just complicated.