Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Opinions Wanted - Trestle Table

"Sonny" wrote:

Swingman and All:

All good advice and certainly appreciated. I've reread all your posts
and have several leads, as to what to do, and I think each suggestion
can be modified, as I proceed, if need be.

This will be a dining table for the pending camp/retreat, to be built
at the farm. The camp will be more of a large vacation home/hunting
camp, not a small structure by any means. The tree was growing on
the chosen construction site, so the idea was to make a table from the
tree that came from its original site. The dining room will
definitely be large enough for this size/length of table. Any dining
will likely be of a general atmosphere and that of a hunting group,
that sort of setting, more so. I doubt very much formal dining will
take place at the camp, but the general setting and retreat home,
itself, will have some elegance to it.

I like the suggestion of using epoxy as a filler, which can be cut out
if it doesn't work or doesn't look the best. It never occurred to me
to use epoxy as a filler, rather than my cut & glue option.
I like 48" wide tables, thus if you go that route you will have to
glue some
boards together.

To glue heavy boards together, you are going to need glue with a long
open
time which means epoxy with a slow hardener.

You already have info from System3 epoxy from another job, they can
also
supply the black pigment compatible with epoxy.

If you proceed to fill cracks with black epoxy, approach it the same
way
a dentist fills a tooth.

Use a wire brush to remove all traces of rot before filling with
epoxy.

If cracks are all the way thru the wood, get back to me for additional
info.

Have fun.

Lew

---