Posted to rec.woodworking
Sonny Sonny is offline

Default Opinions Wanted - Trestle Table

On Wednesday, June 25, 2014 7:30:36 AM UTC-5,
Swingman and All:

All good advice and certainly appreciated. I've reread all your posts and have several leads, as to what to do, and I think each suggestion can be modified, as I proceed, if need be.

This will be a dining table for the pending camp/retreat, to be built at the farm. The camp will be more of a large vacation home/hunting camp, not a small structure by any means. The tree was growing on the chosen construction site, so the idea was to make a table from the tree that came from its original site. The dining room will definitely be large enough for this size/length of table. Any dining will likely be of a general atmosphere and that of a hunting group, that sort of setting, more so. I doubt very much formal dining will take place at the camp, but the general setting and retreat home, itself, will have some elegance to it.

I like the suggestion of using epoxy as a filler, which can be cut out if it doesn't work or doesn't look the best. It never occurred to me to use epoxy as a filler, rather than my cut & glue option.

The leg units' widths can accommodate some trimming, maybe 3"-4" each side, but I like their wide appearance and their bold look, especially for this length of table. I'll trim an inch or 2, at a time, and evaluate the appearance, as I go. Yep, no one is likely to know that they have been trimmed from their original width, especially if the rest of the whole's appearance diverts one's eye elsewhere.... and additional benches or other seating will add to the whole.

I'll add 10" to the table top width, re-evaluate the look and make adjustments if need be. In the camp setting, a slightly wider table top, than normal, may not be so awkward. The leg units' spacing look good/appropriate at 2' from the ends of the table top. That would put the leg units about 7' apart. A wider table top would accommodate some camp/hunting decor accessory item(s), also, and not be strictly for dining/food containers, during meals, only. I suspect the optimum concern is that the table top width be narrow enough that one can still reach across the table and pass-a-slap to a sassy nephew, or such!

Thanks again, great advice and I'll keep you posted as to the progress.
Sonny