Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Opinions Wanted - Trestle Table

On 6/24/2014 8:27 PM, Sonny wrote:

Thanks for any help.

Built a number of tables, including a few trestles. My experience, as
far as dimensions which are necessary for a comfortable and stable
trestle, as follows:

~ 30" height is fine for dining.

~ 40" to 43" wide is the sweet spot for dining with formal place
settings (including glassware), with serving dishes in the middle.

Anything below 40" wide tends to be crowded for seated guests serving
themselves from the middle of the table.

My favorite width is no less than 43" if space allows.

~ Leave an absolute minimum of 11" for leg room, from each _end_ of the
table top, to the trestle structure and footprint itself. 12" is good;
since you really don't gain that much from more, aesthetics can come in
to play at that point.

~ Stability and safety: For a stable base at the foot, make the
footprint width, centered on the table top, 7 to 8" less on each side of
the table top.

IOW, if your table top is 43" wide, make your trestle footprint width
+/-28" wide, and centered on the tabletop, thusly:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...3 82130979938

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net