Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 4140

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message

Scrap metal for those who need to make for certain trades, but
for a hobby user, if it behaves like 4140, and the price is
reasonable
enough, who cares about certs?

Enjoy,
DoN.

How would you measure its yield point and elongation?

We've discussed how to apply and measure a heavy pulling or lifting
force several times, and I suggested a Porta-Power pull-back cylinder
and pressure gauge, but never saw any feedback on how well it worked.
Common shop equipment doesn't lend itself to this the way a press does
to compression.

In decades of prowling for surplus machinery I've seen only two
multi-ton tension gauges for sale.

I once worked in the lab of a leather factory where I ran an ancient
ancestor of these:
http://www.anamet.cz/sites/all/storage/B140D.pdf

This shows what a tensile test specimen looks like.
http://www.hsc.csu.edu.au/engineerin...210/index.html

-jsw