Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default O/T power cuts and 3 day week around the 1970s

On 2014-06-24, Nightjar "cpb"@ "insert my surname here wrote:

On 2014-06-24, ARW wrote:
"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 24/06/14 11:43, Mick IOW wrote:
Hi all,
Can anyone remind me about the power cuts in the 1970s please?

Did the power cuts begin in September 1972 ?
Were they They3 hours on & 3 hours off ?

Then the 3 day week began in January in 1974 ?

I live on the Isle of Wight, but they were all over the UK I
think?

Mick.

anecdotal (I was like 4-5 at the time)...

Me too.

I was trying to revise for my 'A' levels by the light of a Tilley
lamp.

A-Levels? You old person! ;-

I am. Poised on the brink of retirement. Got my first free
prescription today and I'm about to apply for a senior rail card.

Don't forget the bus pass. Useful as proof of age/senility.

Also good for avoiding town centre parking fees, if you have somehere
on a bus route that will take you into town and where the parking is
free.

Ooh. Now *that's* an idea.

Except don't you have to be 65 to get a bus pass?

https://www.gov.uk/calculate-state-pension/y

Yeah, I don't qualify until 2020.

For state pension, yes...but bus passes (scroll down a bit) are on a
sliding scale, following the female retirement age which is in the middle
of migration from 60 to 65.

Or are you THAT much younger than me?