Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Actual price/gallon for 12% Hasa Pool Chlorine (for SMS and theSilicon Valley)

On Tuesday, June 24, 2014 7:52:50 PM UTC-4, DannyD. wrote:
trader_4 wrote, on Tue, 24 Jun 2014 16:02:51 -0700:

Wow, like 12.5 vs 11.6 really changes it materially.

Actually, I thought the liq pool chlorine was typically 12%.

I'm sorry if the implication was that it changed the results

by a lot. It doesn't, I agree. I was just being precise, but,

as we all know, the *age* of the liquid chlorine and exposure

to the elements can make a big difference in the levels.

So, your numbers are as good as mine, I agree. I never meant

to intimate otherwise.

And after all that, the liquid chlorine is still 40% more

expensive than trichlor.

This is a good point.

The liquid chlorine, I admit, is a pain.

Plus, it raises the pH (which is a different pain).

And it's a long drive for me to get the HASA stuff, which I

use a lot of:

But, I also use the trichlor!

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2908/1...5922732f_b.jpg

And with trichlor, you bring home one 40 lb pail that lasts a season.

I use a few hundred pounds in some seasons, so the added CYA

is a problem. How much of a problem the CYA becomes is based

more on the leaks I repair (right now I have most repaired).

You grab 6 tablets, put them in the floating duck once a week.

I have four floaters, plus I use liquid chlorine, so, it's not

as inexpensive as you intimate, but I also have a huge pool.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3678/1...18e5582b_b.jpg

Four floaters? Hundreds of pounds a season? Your season is longer,
but something isn't right here. 48,000 gallon pool
here, just one floater. One 40 pound pail of Trichlor lasts from
mid-May to early Sept, about 4 months.

Less expensive and no shlepping 36 gallons of liq chlorine in

jugs around in the car and then putting it in every couple of days.

I use both the trichlor pucks and the liquid chlorine:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2908/1...5922732f_b.jpg

Both have their problems.

a) The trichlor adds CYA, which, after a while, is a bad thing

(as you always need to keep FC above the CYA levels).

b) The liquid chlorine is difficult to handle as I buy 16 gallons

at a time, and it's a royal pain to use.

The pool is pretty deep, as pools go:

https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3750/1...bd17ae83_b.jpg

How many gallons?