Posted to alt.home.repair
Edward Reid Edward Reid is offline

Default Masonry bits. vs. Hammer drill bits

On Sun, 22 Jun 2014 17:59:12 +0200, nestork
wrote:

Any drill bit with a tungsten carbide point on it is meant to bash a
hole in the masonary in front of it.

Masonry bits were widely available at a time when homeowners didn't
consider buying hammer drills. This alone tells me that this kind of
masonry bit doesn't have to "batter" what's in front of it. I've
drilled holes in mortar, brick, even concrete using such bits with a
non-hammer drill. It's tedious, but it works.

I would call the action grinding rather than either cutting or
battering.

Edward