Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] damduck-egg@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default O/T power cuts and 3 day week around the 1970s

On Tue, 24 Jun 2014 19:12:21 +0100, "ARW"
wrote:

Then the 3 day week began in January in 1974 ?

I live on the Isle of Wight, but they were all over the UK I think?

Experiences in other parts of the country may have been very different.

I remember my Dad taking me to sit in the Cortina to listen to his radio (or
did he have a cassette player then?) - he certainly had beer.

I had beer as well, After leaving my first employment I thought I'd
try my luck at walking into a brewery and seeing if they had any
temporary jobs over the christmas rush.
Thre wasn't much other work around and as a 19 year old ****head I
felt I had the qualifications.
They did, then the 3 day week started in the new year and many of
those with two days spare went to the pubs. We had to work overtime
to keep up. brewing was classed as food production so wasn't as
restricted on power as much as some industries.My xmas job was
extended.
And though I moved on to do other jobs within the company not wishing
to spend my life running a bottle washer that intended temporary
employment lasted forty years. With a good final salary pension scheme
to boot.
I'm quite grateful for the 3 day week.

G.harman