Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Workin' down Unda

On Wed, 25 Jun 2014 06:39:02 +1000, Jon Anderson
wrote:

On 6/25/2014 6:23 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Poor Jono. His brand new wifey may have get used to new smells if the
job odiferizes him and his clothes. I sure hope not, though.

But the dogs sure are happy to see me when I get home! LOL....

Careful you're not dinner some time, wot?

Rebuilding a pump which has been sloughing blood and entrails might
not be something one wishes to do more than once (if that.)

Not as bad as it sounds. Well, there is one job that I dread. Heads,
hooves, entrails, etc, get dumped into a big pit. Twin auger screws feed
this mess to one end, where another auger screw takes it up to the start
of the rendering process. This auger has been cracking at the bottom on
a fairly regular basis, and sooner or later I'm going to have to get
down in there, clean out all the 'stuff', and reweld.

Ick!

The other decent paying job I looked at, 40 minute commute, involved
monitoring a plant that removes PCBs from transformer oil. Plant runs
24/7, 10 hour shifts. I could easily fall asleep on an overnight shift.
Something go wrong with the process, and maybe hear about me on the news...
I do have my eye on the maintenance position where my wife works, a
retirement village. Brand new facility. Current maintenance guy should
be retiring in a few years, and I'll have a more than excellent shot at
the job. There is an excellent benefit there, called a celpack card
(sp?), a portion of ones pay, up to $16k/year available on a debit card.
Cannot be used to get cash nor pay off credit cards, but can be used to
buy most anything. That money is tax free. With both of us working
there, that's around $32k/year tax free. And no mortgage/rent.
And good pay in the mean time.

Good.

G'luck, Jon! Even if the job doesn't last long, may it at least last
long enough to fund the shipment of your tools over there.

Thanks! My boss likes me, and I think I've got a job there as long as I
want it.

I'll bet the turnover rate there is tremendous. Best of luck to yas.

--
Learning to ignore things is one of the great paths to inner peace.
-- Robert J. Sawyer