Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Actual price/gallon for 12% Hasa Pool Chlorine (for SMS and theSilicon Valley)

On Tuesday, June 24, 2014 3:27:13 PM UTC-4, DannyD. wrote:
trader_4 wrote, on Tue, 24 Jun 2014 06:55:11 -0700:

Let's continue the math. A gallon by your calculations costs $3.32.

It has 12% chlorine. A gallon weighes about 8.3 lbs, so you're getting

1 lb of chlorine for $3.32.

My fault. I should have provided more details about the percentage.

This lousy issue of % Available Chlorine vs. Trade % (volume % Available Chlorine)

vs. % of product (weight % of product) is extremely confusing to me; but,

it makes a huge difference in the calculations of cost for chlorine!

Specifically, bleach percentages are listed by weight, such that 6% bleach

is 6% by weight, or 5.7% available chlorine. However, the HASA liquid chlorine

is listed by trade percentage, so 12.5% trade chlorine is 11.6% available chlorine.

Wow, like 12.5 vs 11.6 really changes it materially. Actually, I thought
the liq pool chlorine was typically 12%.

In both cases the actual strength varies with age where the turnover in

the HASA chlorine is extremely fast (they go through a few pallets a day!)

while the turnover in bleach is dismal by way of comparison (however, the

*lower* the percentage of chlorine, the longer it lasts (which seems counter

intuitive, to me, but I have confirmed this will phone calls to Clorox folks).

Given the percentage confusion above, we can then add solid equations,

to finally get these generic equations for calculating the true cost of

sanitizing chlorine for all three types:

a) liquid chlorine:

$cost/gallon x 1gallon/9.7pounds x 1/10.8% by wt available chlorine

b) liquid bleach:

$cost/gallon x 1gallon/9.0pounds x 1/5.7% by wt available chlorine

c) solids:

$cost/pound x 1/??% by wt available chlorine, as listed on the container

(assume 36% if it's not listed, which is what I've found out by calling

*every* manufacturer who didn't list the percentage! They're trying to

hide a lousy number every time!).

And after all that, the liquid chlorine is still 40% more
expensive than trichlor. And with trichlor, you bring home
one 40 lb pail that lasts a season. You grab 6 tablets, put them
in the floating duck once a week. Less expensive and no shlepping
36 gallons of liq chlorine in jugs around in the car and
then putting it in every couple of days.