Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian Adrian is offline

Default UKIP supporters

On Tue, 24 Jun 2014 17:22:36 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

perhaps it should be limited to people with British nationality -
which brings us back to the whole EU debate quite squarely.

Well, quite. And should that limitation be to _locals_? Would a
Londoner get preference for a job in Belfast over somebody from Dublin?

Belfast is in the UK. Dublin is not.

So that's a "Yes"? Somebody from across a much wider sea than that
between France and the UK SHOULD get preference to somebody who lives a
mile away? Because that's where somebody drew a line on a map, nearly a
century ago?

That's all there is to it in my book...

Edinburgh is in the UK. It may not be soon. Should all Scots in London
have their working privileges revoked, if the referendum goes that way?
After all, they'll be no different to an Irishman or a Frenchman or a
Pole. They'll be _foreign_.

You live in the SE - you're nearer to France than you are to the
North-East. Which do you have greater "loyalty" to?

Not France - there's this bit of sea and a huge language barrier in
the way which negates any physical proximity.

So 20 miles of water is a big issue to you?

And the fact it is another country with their own rules and language.

Calais has been part of the UK more recently than Wales and England were
separate, yet you regard them as separate countries. Ydych chi'n siarad
Cymraeg yn rhugl?

FWIW, my local supermarket is in England, but all the signage is
bilingual (probably not unrelated to one end of their carpark being in
Wales)...

Including, I'm sure, the people doing it. So does it make a
difference if that person dossing on a mate's floor and working all
hours is from Warsaw or Walsall?

Walsall is OK as they are part of England

How about Cardiff? Edinburgh? Edinburgh now-versus-2015? Dublin?

Cardiff is part of the UK, ditto Edinburgh now. You're just being picky
and you know it.

Yes, I am, because I want to see how far you're going to hold this
artificial boundary up.

So you're just against population migration at all?

No, just mass temporary migration. We've always been open to migration

Many would disagree, or would regard that as bad.

but the EU "open borders" system with right to work everywhere is a new
and previously untested situation.

Well, apart from the forty years the UK's been partaking "testing" it.
Roughly a working lifetime.