Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default O/T power cuts and 3 day week around the 1970s

On Tue, 24 Jun 2014 14:51:27 +0100, Bill wrote:

In message , "Nightjar
\"cpb\"@" "insert my surname writes
They were four hour powers cuts, with a minimum of eight hours between
cuts in the same area, which allowed most emergency lights to recover.
In practice, the minimum period between power cuts was usually at least
12 hours. Some areas with essential services, such as hospitals, were
exempt, although, where possible, engineers would be sent out to cut
power to the area around the essential service manually.

We ran a hired generator to cover every power cut. I remember having to
find and use the one petrol station in the area that still had a pump
with attachable handle to provide fuel.

I wonder if any petrol stations still have pumps like this?

I had apart time job in a petrol station. On of the guys there jacked up
the light van we had and took a back wheen off, replacing it with a rim.
Chocked the other wheel (well). Some kind of thin rope to the drive
pulley on the nearest pump.

Burnt out the clutch after half a day, and then got hauled over the coals
by the Fire Brigade.