Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default O/T power cuts and 3 day week around the 1970s

On 24/06/2014 13:33, Nightjar "cpb"@ insert my surname here wrote:
On 24/06/2014 11:43, Mick IOW wrote:
Hi all,
Can anyone remind me about the power cuts in the 1970s please?

Did the power cuts begin in September 1972 ?

Late 1973.

Were they They3 hours on & 3 hours off ?..

They were four hour powers cuts, with a minimum of eight hours between
cuts in the same area, which allowed most emergency lights to recover.
In practice, the minimum period between power cuts was usually at least
12 hours. Some areas with essential services, such as hospitals, were
exempt, although, where possible, engineers would be sent out to cut
power to the area around the essential service manually. The Electricity
Board I was working for at the time had plans for a large 24 hour call
centre to handle enquiries, but the Trade Unions insisted that only
people already working in the Press Office could answer enquiries, which
reduced that to two, rather busy, people during office hours only.

SWEB? Terry Pratchett was a press officer for CEGB South West Region at
the time, ISTR