Posted to uk.d-i-y
Capitol Capitol is offline

Default UKIP supporters

Adrian wrote:
On Mon, 23 Jun 2014 23:41:34 +0100, bert wrote:

because we were never told explicitly what would be the outcome of
Maastricht 1992

Yet the population of the UK had voted overwhelmingly for a party with a
pro-European manifesto in 1987. That party then did what we'd given them
a mandate to do.

Overwhelmingly? Where are your figures to support that claim?

I'd call a _majority_ of a sixth of the total number of seats fairly
"overwhelming", wouldn't you?

A vote for a manifesto in a general election is for the manifesto as a
whole not for the individual policies.

I said that the population voted overwhelmingly for a party with that
manifesto. Or, if you want to be nitpicky about it, that policy within
their manifesto.

Only 27% of those who turned out, less than 10% of the electorate as a
whole, voted for the one party arguing to leave the EU?

So how does that compare with your "overwhelming" above?

Since UKIP still only have one third of UK EU parliamentary seats, and
precisely zero Westminster seats...

So far.