Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default O/T power cuts and 3 day week around the 1970s

In article ,
Mick IOW writes:
Hi all,
Can anyone remind me about the power cuts in the 1970s please?

Did the power cuts begin in September 1972 ?

I don't know the date, but trying to associate it with which
school year I think I was in, I would have guessed before then.

Were they They3 hours on & 3 hours off ?

Just 3 hours off. Next one would be a day or two later.
Initially they blipped the supply about a minute in advance
of a power cut to warn you, but then timetables were published
in the press.

Then the 3 day week began in January in 1974 ?

I live on the Isle of Wight, but they were all over the UK I think?

Yes, but some areas weren't hit. My school was in same area as
a hospital and was exempt on the basis that the hospital was
protected from the cuts.

--
Andrew Gabriel