Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default O/T power cuts and 3 day week around the 1970s

On 24/06/14 11:43, Mick IOW wrote:
Hi all,
Can anyone remind me about the power cuts in the 1970s please?

Did the power cuts begin in September 1972 ?
Were they They3 hours on & 3 hours off ?

Then the 3 day week began in January in 1974 ?

I live on the Isle of Wight, but they were all over the UK I think?

Mick.

anecdotal (I was like 4-5 at the time)...

4-6 hours off I think. Certainly not 4 on, 4 off. More like "mostly on,
but 4-6 off perhaps a few times a week.

In Surrey, near outer London, I remember going around town with my mum
on her daily shopping trip and she would stop by the SEEBOARD shop and
check the poster in the window that carried the rota of power cuts.

The bloke in the hardware shop was doing a nice line in paraffin lamps
(we had one).

Wikipedia should give you the dates.

Experiences in other parts of the country may have been very different.