Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UKIP supporters

On Monday, 23 June 2014 17:12:47 UTC+1, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 23 Jun 2014 15:23:03 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I wish I could believe that as I think IIRC the vote to go into

the

EC in 1973/4 was 47% less than 50% and yet we still joined the

EC

Meaningless figure that 47% unless you state what it is 47% of.

Assuming the total population, why should those that chose not to

vote be included?

As I understood it at the time at school I was that a referedum was diffent to a voting systems.
The closest I can find on wiki to what our teacher said is.

I didn;t know what a Referendum was at the time could ahave been a piece of cheese so I had to find out.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Referendum
"A multiple choice referendum poses the question of how the result is to be determined if no single option receives the support of an absolute majority (more than half) of voters"

of course we didn;t have wiki at the time all I had were teachers.
Perhaps you could tell me the fiffernce between a referedum a ballot a vote
or even a phone in.

It's about time you learnt a no-vote doesn't count. Rightly so.

Someone counts em.

What is mean by "no-vote" in this context? A vote for the "no" option
or not bothering to vote at all? All the actual votes cast are
counted, including any spoiled papers.

I'd been told a NO vote in a referedum meant you didn;t support a change in the current system. A bit like if yuo don;t switch the TV on to watch teh world cut then are not classed as watching teh world cup, simples.
Of course you'll hear that the UK is gripped by the world cup.

If people chose not to vote, they also throw away their right to
complain if the result (immediate or long term) isn't to their
liking. TBH the sooner voting is made compulsilary the better.

That is one option the other is saying that those that don;t vote are content with the current system, and if yuo really don't lioke the curretn system then vote against it.
Same with most things in life, if you don't like somethimng yuo change it, if happy there';s no need for a change.