Posted to uk.d-i-y
bert[_3_] bert[_3_] is offline

Default UKIP supporters

In message , Adrian
writes
On Mon, 23 Jun 2014 17:12:47 +0100, Dave Liquorice wrote:

It's about time you learnt a no-vote doesn't count. Rightly so.

Someone counts em.

What is mean by "no-vote" in this context? A vote for the "no" option or
not bothering to vote at all?

Quite. BIG difference in a referendum. Of course, that's the only time
there is a "yes"/"no" vote...

If people chose not to vote, they also throw away their right to
complain if the result (immediate or long term) isn't to their liking.

*ding*

TBH the sooner voting is made compulsilary the better.

I'm less convinced about that. Abstention has a long and proud tradition
in any and every sphere of voting, and long may it remain. Not voting in
an election is just abstaining. Compulsory voting would require the
addition of a "positive abstention", though - a "None of the above"
option - and no reason not to introduce that without the compulsion.

I suspect there's times where "None of the above" might do very well
indeed - and I also suspect that it'd hit the "protest parties" hard.

On what basis do you judge a vote to be a "protest"? When it doesn't
suit your preconceptions?
--
bert