Posted to uk.d-i-y
bert[_3_] bert[_3_] is offline

Default UKIP supporters

In message , Adrian
writes
On Mon, 23 Jun 2014 16:24:08 +0100, Big Les Wade wrote:

No, we wanted to join a common market.

We joined exactly what we voted to join - a group of other European
nations who wanted freedom of movement, freedom of trade, freedom of
capital, freedom of goods between themselves.

Freedom of movement was not part of the deal then. That came later.

Freedom of movement was part of the EC/EEC/EU/
Whateverthehellyouwanttocallit from the very start. Before we joined.

At that time, it was called the European Community (not that there's
much in a name).

It was called the European Economic Community (EEC) and almost
invariably referred to in the British media as the Common Market.

Then, once we were in, we HELPED to turn it into what it is today. Along
with every other member, the UK could easily have vetoed any membership
application from any country. The UK could easily have vetoed any major
changes to it. The UK chose not to.

Like all state power advocates

...which I'm not...

you're confusing the government of a country with its people.

Not at all. I'm well aware that the government is the democratically
chosen proxy of the people.

*We*, the people, never made these choices

Yes, we did.

because we were never told explicitly what would be the outcome of
Maastricht 1992

Yet the population of the UK had voted overwhelmingly for a party with a
pro-European manifesto in 1987. That party then did what we'd given them
a mandate to do.

Overwhelmingly? Where are your figures to support that claim? A vote for
a manifesto in a general election is for the manifesto as a whole not
for the individual policies.
Government-by-referendum would be astonishingly expensive and dog-slow.
Still, since there's now a legal requirement for a referendum on any
major European treaties, I guess you'll be happier with any such treaties
agreed from now on?

Horse stable door closing bolted after has . Rearrange into a well known
phrase or saying.
Today the majority of people WITH an opinion want to LEAVE the EU.

Do they? Do you have any credible figures to support that?

I found the European parliament election results pretty persuasive.

Only 27% of those who turned out, less than 10% of the electorate as a
whole, voted for the one party arguing to leave the EU?

So how does that compare with your "overwhelming" above?
A party who actively DON'T want to give a referendum on EU membership to
the public. I wonder why that would be, if not a fear of it not going the
way they want it to? Some confidence in that "majority"...

--
bert