Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Use for a finish sander?

"Greg Guarino" wrote in message

I visit my parents most evenings these days. I had another browse in the
garage this evening. I found another sander, a Black and Decker 7320 1/3
sheet. It's probably of a similar vintage, all metal, chrome finish. No
corrosion at all. I suppose the sealed ammo box it's been in for the
past several decades might have helped.

I turned it on briefly and tried sanding a piece of scrap. It doesn't
feel quite as solid and smooth as the Rockwell, but it wasn't too bad.
Noisier too. It could still be of some use. The pad is some sort of foam
rubber rather than felt and is a little beaten around the edges. Still
seems flat over the active area though.

Interestingly, there is a lever that selects between "orbital" and
"straight-line" action.

I have one of those too, circa 1965-70. Mine is Craftsman but may well be a
branded B&D. Works OK but I rarely use it, not nearly as good as the Porter
Cable 1/2 sheet sander. I also have a Hitachi 1/2 sheet, rarely use it
either for the same reason; also, not as heavy, hard rubber platen...works
best if stuff is already dead flat.

--

dadiOH