Posted to alt.home.repair
novel novel is offline

Default 3" pipe???

On Friday, June 20, 2014 8:49:16 AM UTC-4, novel wrote:
Plumber came to kitchen to take care of my clogged drain after I failed to do it myself. Below the sink, he took off the trap that had what he called a 3" pipe attached to it. Well as he was trying to remove it, part of the thread broke off. it was old and rusted. Now, he told me to have it replace. His job did not call for replacing pipes and had me sign a waver for that. That's fine. Now what I want to know is how to go about getting that pipe. I'm sure its not ready made, or maybe I am wrong. I know it probably won't be available in a regular hardware store. He said to ask for a 3" pipe, threaded on both ends and 3" long. Isn't that what they call a 'coupler"?

To all you guys... and gals? It is a single home. I will check about the PVC's if its necessary, when the plumber comes this morning to check it out. The drain cleaner did put a ruler to it after I questioned him and he did say 3" by 3" threaded at both ends. Obviously with that size, its not centered, so I guess its going to be at least longer than 3"...but again I will leave that up to the plumber. It definitely has to be removed cause like I said, part of the thread going into the T broke off that is why we taped it and its holding up pretty good considering.