Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian Adrian is offline

Default UKIP supporters

On Mon, 23 Jun 2014 10:15:38 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Fortunately enough of the sheeple voted for UKIP to give them the
biggest share of the vote.

Indeed. Just over one in eleven of the electorate. Which probably says
more about apathy generally than about the fringe-loons-du-jour.

somewhat more than that.

No, not really. I realise that your maths skills are on a par with your
logical reasoning, but...

27.5% vote share on 34.15% turnout = 9.4% of the electorate at the Euro
election voted UKIP. 9.1% is one in eleven. 9.4% is just over 9.1%, right?

I think it safe to say that the turnout amongst UKIP supporters would
have been FAR higher than the electorate as an average, wouldn't you?
Ergo, it seems safe to say that around 10% of the population as a whole
are UKIP supporters. Assuming that translates to the general election
(unlikely, since protest votes never do), then going with a 70% turnout
average over the last few decades, that'll translate to about a 17% vote
share next year - about 3/4 of the LD's total in 2010.