Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg Guarino[_2_] Greg Guarino[_2_] is offline

Default Use for a finish sander?

On 6/22/2014 7:55 PM, Leon wrote: On 6/22/2014 8:44 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:
The last couple of weekends have been busy and thus unproductive
woodworking-wise. I'm trying to come up with an efficient regime to sand
the lots and lots of repetitive parts that make up the two shelf units
I'm building.

I made myself a little "corral" just big enough to immobilize four 9" x
1.5" pieces at a time (four 1/2" ply "fences" in a rectangle) for
sanding. I will probably do something similar for the other size parts.
Per advice here (distilled from several posters) I'm going to use (at
least) 120 and 150 grit. The project is made of standard Lowe's-issue
S4S red oak.

Sand the pieces in larger sections "before" you cut them apart. Sand a
9" x 7" piece first then rip them apart. Now you only have a half the
edges to sand.

I thought of that, *after* I cut up all of the pieces, naturally . I'm
afraid that ripping small pieces like that is difficult with my tool
(and personal) limitations; I started with stock of the proper finished
cross-section (1x3 and 1x2). Still, I think I could have sanded the
uncut stock.

Stack several pieces together on a flat surface. On both sides of the
stack lay a longer piece of wood, thinner than the stack. Use a bar
clamp on both ends of the boards to squeeze every thing together.

I set up something similar without clamps, a four-sided "corral" made of
thinner stock (1/2" ply) screwed into the work surface. The pieces fit
in it snugly. It may work out.

Or lay them all down on double stick tape

Or http://www.jettools.com/us/en/p/10-2...-sander/628900

Extravagant for a guy who doesn't even have a table saw.

Definitely use all of your sanders with different grits attached.

I just unearthed a third sander. I may indeed use three sanders and
avoid changing paper entirely, but we'll see how well the "new" (circa
1970 I'm guessing) one works.

---