Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bending aluminum

On Sun, 22 Jun 2014 07:17:20 -0700, RobertMacy
wrote:

On Sat, 21 Jun 2014 18:01:05 -0700, DanG wrote:

...snip....

I would bend 6061 cold. You will probably need to use something smaller
as the bending form as the material will have "spring back". It will
require some experimenting to discover where to clamp the piece and what
to use for the bending. I assume you meant 3' not 3" to end up with a
14" gap. 1/4" will require substantial force to create a smooth bend.

also, watch the 'grain' we had quite a few the workshop bent along the
wrong direction, they all cracked over time. Envision a wood grain, you
get the idea.

The peice described would definitely allow the bend he wants to make
"with the grain" unless it was sawed off the wrong side of a piece of
plate - - -