Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Bending aluminum

On Saturday, June 21, 2014 9:46:19 PM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Meanie wrote:

I want to bend a 3" long, 1/4" thick x 2" wide flat stock aluminum bar to

roughly a 7" radius "U" shape which will give me a 14" (ID) gap between

ends. I'm reading methods of bending aluminum and some say heat while

others say bend cold. Since it's not a tight bend, I would think cold

bending would be fine, but obviously uncertain. I'm also uncertain if

it's best to use 6061 aluminum or, as I read, a softer 5052 which is

easier to bend. The overall use will not reach the rated tensile and

yield strengths of either grade, therefore, the only issue is

price.....5052 is more expensive.

Anyone experienced with this type of work?

Thanks

3" long?

It probably goes with the 3" nipple in the other thread.