George

Default wobble

Sounds likely.

Rather than "ride," try to "guide" the bevel, and you'll begin your sanding
in a better state.

I use a flexible shaft powered by a washing machine motor to sand. That
way I can rest the handle of the shaft on the toolrest to steady, rather
than referencing the disk on the work. Double benefit, really, as I don't
have to press, thereby aggravating the natural tendency to sand faster in
soft face (or spalt), slower in end grain. Heat is also the enemy in
sanding. It hardens and burnishes the surface, and the tears are more
obvious by comparison. If you're able to kiss, rather than press the work,
you'll have less heat. If you do start to burnish the work when sanding,
don't do what seems natural and press harder. Stop, wet the shiny areas to
break the hardening, then return after the surface looks dry.

Take a peek at my weird technique, which involves running the gouge with the
angle of attack parallel to centerline.

"Phil Johnson" wrote in message
George, in two positions relative to the toolrest, 180 degrees apart, so

is
it me, am I riding the bevel harder than securing the gouge to the tool
rest, would that cause this ovality. And I do have some difficulty

removing
torn grain during final sanding, seems to take forever no matter how

little
there is of it.