Posted to alt.home.repair
HerHusband HerHusband is offline

Default 3" pipe???

http://s349.photobucket.com/user/Nov..._0172.jpg.html

What he needs is a proper plumber to replace the whole messed up
abortion of a drain system he has there. The T-Y into the drain is
installed upside-down, for starters. I've not seen a galvanized drain
system in over 40 years - And the tailpiece into the trap doesn't line
up straight - so the nipple, if he was going to just replace it, needs
to be about half an inch longer. Removing the broken nipple from the
fitting without breaking the pipe above or below is a crap-shoot at
best.

I agree. Novel admits to not being familiar with plumbing work, so it would
be wise to have a real plumber come in and update things.

Several years ago my in-laws asked me to fix their leaky kitchen faucet.
The spout corroded and broke off so I had to track down a new faucet. While
trying to remove the faucet, the old galvanized fittings broke. When I
tried to replace the fittings, the next section of galvanized pipe split
lengthwise. By the time I got back to a usable fitting, I was about 20 feet
from the faucet where I started. I went ahead and replaced the entire
plumbing system with new plastic pipe.

Anthony Watson
www.mountainsoftware.com
www.watsondiy.com