Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bending aluminum

On Sun, 22 Jun 2014 03:29:45 +0200, nestork
wrote:

'Meanie[_4_ Wrote:
;3250830']I want to bend a 3" long, 1/4" thick x 2" wide flat stock
aluminum bar
to roughly a 7" radius "U" shape which will give me a 14" (ID) gap
between ends. I'm reading methods of bending aluminum and some say heat

while others say bend cold. Since it's not a tight bend, I would think
cold bending would be fine, but obviously uncertain. I'm also uncertain

if it's best to use 6061 aluminum or, as I read, a softer 5052 which is

easier to bend. The overall use will not reach the rated tensile and
yield strengths of either grade, therefore, the only issue is
price.....5052 is more expensive.

Anyone experienced with this type of work?

Thanks

I would take that piece of stock to any place listed under "Wire & Wire
Products" in your yellow pages phone directory. They bend steel wire up
to 1/2 inch diameter right here in Winnipeg into various forms needed
for different purposes. They also bend 1/2 inch steel rebar into
circles and connect those circles by wiring them to straight pieces of
rebar to make steel reinforcing for concrete fence post footings. See
if the stuff they're bending has to be round. If not, they can probably
bend your aluminum if you give the guy a $5 tip.

You definitely won't bend plate or bar stock with a re-bar bender