Posted to alt.home.repair

Default replacement wire size

On Sat, 21 Jun 2014 20:00:53 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 6/21/2014 7:40 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 21 Jun 2014 20:44:01 +0000, kathleen ellis
wrote:

When replacing the wiring for a stove what size wire should be used? I am
replacing 3 wires with 4 wire.

What size is there now? If you are using a 50 amp outlet you need
#6. It will be 6-3 with ground. (red/white/black plus green or
bare)What you have now will most likely be 6-2 with ground (black and
white plus bare ground)

By NEC except for the lowest-possible rated temperature rating cable
made (which I'm not sure is even available any more) #8 is adequate for
50 A by my copy of the Tables. I don't recall ever seeing #6 just for a
range altho I suppose some of the newer double ovens and all the bells
and whistles might have 50 A demands...

Apund here #6 for range and #8 for drier is common, IIRC.