Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 3" pipe???

On Sat, 21 Jun 2014 03:47:58 +0000 (UTC), HerHusband
wrote:

Novel,

Perhaps I am to be blamed for the wording of my OP.

Mistakes happen, don't sweat it. As with most areas of life, it only takes
one or two bad apples (trolls) to cause trouble for everyone else. It's
easy for people with DIY experience to forget that not everyone knows the
correct terminology for things. Heck, I've been doing this stuff for
decades and still discover new things.

When it comes to stupid questions, I'm an expert!

I did call this guy a plumber mainly cause he does plumbing work for
a company that just does drain cleaning.

OK, that makes more sense.

picture taking would not show anything, mainly cause the threaded
pipe area that he screwed in was covered with 'plumber's tape'

Photos are always helpful. In my previous reply I was picturing the drain
pipe coming up out of the floor, mainly because that's the setup I dealt
with at my in-laws. After I posted my response, I realized your pipe may be
coming out of the wall instead. If that's the case, you may not have the
space to use a Fernco coupling.

Post a photo if you can, it helps make sense when text doesn't necessarily
explain the situation.

He gave me the measurements.

Armed with these responses you should have no trouble explaining what you
need to the sales people at the hardware or box store. For that matter, you
could probably find it yourself.

Good luck!

Anthony Watson
www.mountainsoftware.com
www.watsondiy.com

In DRAINS it is common to have threaded brass" tail-pieces" that
corrode and break off. Generally they thread in one end and have a
"compression sleave" type connection at the other end to seal what is
in reality a slip fit joint.