Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Washable/electrostatic furnace filters

Tony Hwang wrote:
Jules Richardson wrote:

Hi,

Any comments as to how good/bad washable/electrostatic furnace filters
are? The local humane society has three furnaces which take 16x25x4"
filters, and displosable ones aren't exactly cheap (particularly for a
non-profit, and when the filter on one system needs changing every couple
of weeks). Thinking of swapping over to washable ones to cut down on
costs.

I've checked the furnace manuals and they say that washable filters are
an option. Looking online there don't seem to be many negative comments
about the washable type; most are based around air quality (disposable
filters trapping smaller particles than washable ones will), but is this
isn't for residential/office use maybe that's not an issue.

The downside seems to be that reusable filters in the size needed are
difficult to find - I've actually only found one source via Amazon (and
those are actually a 2" filter in a 4" frame, and there's no lifetime
warranty on them like there is for some of the 1" filters from other
vendors).

thanks

Jules

Hi,
As far as I know that is snake oil. Severe air flow restriction. Washing
it clean is not that easy. Just forget it.

Hi,
Addendum, my furnace takes 16x25x5 size. When I tried it, did not do a
good job except restricting air flow. Washing in the winter is near
impossible. Finally I gave up and took one apart, two sheets of thin
foam and that's it. The right size casing was near empty. Now I use
alternately electronic filter(Honeywell) and Merv 11 cartridge which
cost ~15.00 when buying 6 each in a box including shipping. BTW, I
clean the electronic filter element in the DW.