Posted to alt.home.repair
BenignBodger BenignBodger is offline

Default Masonry bits. vs. Hammer drill bits

On 6/21/2014 6:26 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 6/20/2014 7:00 PM, BenignBodger wrote:
There are similarities but the rotary hammer drill bits have a different
base, generally the standard SDS pattern in the smaller drills, rather
than just a plain 'drill' shaft found on your typical masonry bit. An
SDS bit could be used as a simple rotary bit although I can't imagine
why anyone would while a regular masonry bit won't fit any sort of
hammer drill I've ever seen. I've never seen an SDS bit that was as
flimsy as your typical hardware-store masonry bit and I've never had a
SDS dull or fail in any way which inhibited their operation while I've
had regular masonry bits grab and fail catastrophically.

The SDS bits have a shaft that's pressed, hard
to explain. I doubt they would fit a regular
chuck. Anyone know?

Yes, you _could_ chuck up an SDS bit in a regular drill. The shaft size is
10mm so virtually any drill would accommodate one although you'd want a
keyed chuck since a keyless might not tighten enough to hold. Why anyone
would want to do this is beyond me though.