Phil Johnson

Default wobble

Axminster have dial tested my headstock bearing and they are within
tolerance ending any warranty discussion.
Derek, I did try the faceplate adaptor on the chuck, no wood, seemed ok
(visually) after re-seating in a couple of different positions, and clearing
the recess of any small wood particles
The headstock does rotate and whilst I have to be careful with alignment for
between centres turning, (+/- a lot)on faceplates/chucks etc. when tightened
(not quite broken tight) I can't move it..
Arch, I did check and re-tighten my rawbolts, and all four had relaxed a bit
in the short time since having the lathe, and subsequently tried any bit of
wood, turned to almost nothing, seems to exhibit the same eccentric
(visible) motion. I do tend to make the chuck recess deeper when compared to
pro turners bowls at local craft fair/shops etc, to err on the safer side of
ignorance I thought.
James, I have no way at home of checking the straightness (I think) of the
headstock shaft, but would hope that the supplier had done that when I took
the motor/headstock assembly in for testing.
Jack, the last bowl blanks were "shop bought" from local wood turning supply
retailer, "part seasoned" I'm told, they look and feel dry after turning off
the wax.
George, in two positions relative to the toolrest, 180 degrees apart, so is
it me, am I riding the bevel harder than securing the gouge to the tool
rest, would that cause this ovality. And I do have some difficulty removing
torn grain during final sanding, seems to take forever no matter how little
there is of it.

Phil (with thanks to all)

"Derek Hartzell" wrote in message
Given that you have checked all this, I would recommend you change the
bearings.

I once heard of an car or airplane component sourced from two different
countries. The one lasted several times as long as the other. Both were
within tolerances. The longer-lasting one, however, seemed to have all
parts machined with no detectable variability with the accuracy of gauges,
while the other varied, but all within specs. Maybe the bearings are
wearing and while "within specs" they are causing vibration.

Also, when remounting in the chuck, have you tried rotating the piece in

the
chuck a quarter turn at a time, tightening and spinning under power until
you get the lowest deflection/vibration mounting?

Derek