Posted to alt.home.repair
philo [_2_] philo [_2_] is offline

Default heat pump water heater

On 06/21/2014 01:00 AM, VinnyB wrote:
On Sat, 21 Jun 2014 01:08:33 -0400, Judson McCranie
wrote in

Not really a repair, but our electric water heater is 17 years old,
but working OK. We are a family of three, but I think we use a lot
more hot water than an average family of three (some of us take long
baths). Our electric company will give us $250 for replacing it with
a heat pump water heater. Can you give me an estimate of the
reduction of electricity use if we do change?

If you use a lot of hot water you are going to hate the HP heater. It
has a long recovery time and reverts to resistance heating when there
is a large HW demand. I estimate less than 5% reduction in
electricity use, but that is just a guess.

Additionally, your locale is important.

Viz: In the Chicago area it would be pretty useless in the Winter.

In Phoenix it would make sense.