Posted to uk.d-i-y
harryagain[_2_] harryagain[_2_] is offline

Default VW Generators

"John Williamson" wrote in message
On 20/06/2014 06:37, harryagain wrote:
"John Williamson" wrote in message
On 19/06/2014 19:53, tony sayer wrote:

You and a few other make these stupid remarks/statements. Clearly
you
have
swallowed the propaganda like the credulous fools you are without
even
slight research.

It doesn't take much research to show that your favoured options of
photovoltaic and wind generation are totally useless and actually
*increase* pollution per kilowatt hour of energy used over and above
that
caused by burning fossil fuels. Though I did meet someone last year
who
had spent a year researching renewables and came to the conclusion
that
they're a waste of time, money and effort. That's what he wrote in
his
thesis, anyway. (In Chinese, as that's where he came from)

Once manufactured, no pollution is created.
Virually no maintenance is needed.;
There are no parasitic losses.

And no leccy when the air pressure is the same across the land and not
lot of power at night otherwise excellent thingies)!...

He hasn't worked out yet that having to run fossil fuelled stations in
their most inefficient mode all the time to even out the massive
variations in renewable energy sources causes pollution. Unless he's of
the opinion that all energy usage can be shut off during the hours of
darkness and when the wind's not blowing. So, we'll all start going to
bed
at sunset and get up at sunrise, no evening TV or radio, no radio alarm
clocks, food spoiling more quickly in storage due to unstable
temperatures
in fridges and so on and on and on....

You do talk some drivel
You haven't worked out that PV is only part of the solution and any
supplimentary (fossil/gas) power will not come from come from cnventional
power stations as we have today.

So where *will* it come from? Bear in mind that small fossil fuel stations
are normally less efficient than large ones.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_cycle

PV is a small part of the solution, as is wind. Tidal power is severely
constrained in the UK by geography, as is hydro.

We are ideally situated for tidal power with lots of large river estuarys
with some of the highest tidal ranges in the world.
There is plenty of scope for micro hydro which is included in the FIT
scheme.
Even the Queen has one.
There were once thousands of water mills in the UK, all sites could be
converted.
Also existing hydro could be boosted by refillling the dams by pumping when
there is surplus wind energy.

And power will be more expensive in times of dearth and non-essential
stuff
will be shut off.

Because we've not built enough capacity to replace the old, worn out
stuff.

I see the wholesale price of gas has gone up 5% as I predicted.
And that's just for a few threats.

The price of hydrocarbons has very little to do with production costs and
demand, and a great deal to do with politics. It has been this way for
decades.

Get your head out of your arse.
Politcs will always play apart but the additional factor is the increasing
cost of fossil fuel as it becomes harder to find and extract. Eg we are now
talking about fracking.
When these nutters ISIS take over Saudi/even start their bothers there,
there will be WW3 and massive price hikes/shortages..

Just wait 'til the public finds out about coal bed gas extraction.
The NIMBYs have no idea.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Undergr...l_gasification
Coming to a place near you. (If you're particularly unlucky)

We need independent energy sources, but renewables are the only one that
last forever.
And don't result in your house falling down.