Posted to alt.home.repair
BenignBodger BenignBodger is offline

Default Masonry bits. vs. Hammer drill bits

On 6/20/2014 12:48 PM, micky wrote:
Masonry bits. vs. Hammer drill bits

I had assumed they were the same. Maybe not?

Hammer drill bits seem very expensive. The cheapest was $4.50 and I
think that one was small. A lot are 40 dollars or more. That's more
than the drill was.

There are similarities but the rotary hammer drill bits have a different
base, generally the standard SDS pattern in the smaller drills, rather than
just a plain 'drill' shaft found on your typical masonry bit. An SDS bit
could be used as a simple rotary bit although I can't imagine why anyone
would while a regular masonry bit won't fit any sort of hammer drill I've
ever seen. I've never seen an SDS bit that was as flimsy as your typical
hardware-store masonry bit and I've never had a SDS dull or fail in any way
which inhibited their operation while I've had regular masonry bits grab
and fail catastrophically.