Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default new motherboard

On Thu, 19 Jun 2014 22:49:44 -0500, "Terry Coombs"

On Thu, 19 Jun 2014 10:30:57 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:
And Karl , you should be able to use the same Win7 license in a new
build . Might have to call M$ to activate it , I've had to do that
when re-using XP licenses .
--
Snag

Depends what kind of licence you have. If you got stuck with an OEM
licence attached to a pre-install with only a restore disk (not a full
microsoft install) not only can you not legally use it on a different
computer (and a different motherboard makes it a different computer in
Microsoft's eyes) but in many cases it physically will not install on
the new computer. If it is a pre uefi system you might be able to
install the running hard drive, but you may not be able to re-install.

I dunno , Clare , I've never had a problem installing XP Home/XP Pro/Vista
on any box I worked over - useta "restore" old boxes and give them to the
kids on our street - using whatever license number was on the box . Some
were from totally different comps that I upgraded to Pro . Only hassle I
ever had was occasionally I'd have to activate over the phone , but even
that was automated . I use discs burned from images downloaded from torrent
sites and other places . And some of those licenses have been used on more
than one comp sequentially not concurrently over the years . Not having
had problems myself , I don't understand all the negativity - I often have
more problems locating drivers for a particular mobo than license problems .
One exception is XP Home Media Edition , never could get that one to load
properly . And I have several good license numbers for it .

Deopends entirely on what you are starting with. A "microsoft install
disk" whether OEM or retail usually works even on a different
manufacturer/configuration, but an
oem restore" disk generally will NOT install on someone elses system,
and when it does it often will not authenticate - even over the phone.
It comes up "this copy of windows is not legitimate" - and you cannot
authorize it.
With the "microsoft install disk" you need a key for the same version
(home, pro, ultimate or whatever) of windows, and often the key for a
retail version will not install an OEM version, and vice versa. Been
doing this now for 26 years. Installed and re-installed at minimum
hundreds of systems from DOS 2 and windows 1 on up to current - and
the current UEFI stuff is a royal BITCH.