Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
stryped[_3_] stryped[_3_] is offline

Default OT what do you think of this wheel balancer

On Friday, June 20, 2014 12:24:26 PM UTC-5, Doug Miller wrote:
stryped wrote in

:

http://owensboro.craigslist.org/tls/4524860669.html

As I have posted before, thought about purchasing one for my

home shop to be able to balance tires on my 3 cars. I guess this

is a China unit but I don't know.

THINK about it for just a minute, stryped. I know that may be something of a foreign concept

for you, but try it, just this once.

How much does a tire shop charge to balance a wheel? Ten bucks? I heard Walmart does

it for eight.

And how often do you need wheels balanced? Once every 2-3 years? If you're maintaining

three cars, that means on average four wheels per year, at $10 each. That's $40 per year,

tops.

Divided into the $600 you're going to spend on the balancer, plus probably another $50 in

weights, means it will take you AT LEAST SIXTEEN YEARS to recover the cost.

Sounds like a stupid idea to me.

Or a stryped idea.

Not that there seems to be a lot of difference...

I just like the idea of being able to mail order tires and change them myself. I already have a manual tire changer.

And I think I could do it better than anyone else. No body seems to even pay attention to the balancing marks on new tires. My wife's car has huge weights on it because of it....

And I don't think I want Wal Mart doing anything on my vehicle. At least the one around here...