Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Doug Miller[_4_] Doug Miller[_4_] is offline

Default OT what do you think of this wheel balancer

stryped wrote in
:

http://owensboro.craigslist.org/tls/4524860669.html

As I have posted before, thought about purchasing one for my
home shop to be able to balance tires on my 3 cars. I guess this
is a China unit but I don't know.

THINK about it for just a minute, stryped. I know that may be something of a foreign concept
for you, but try it, just this once.

How much does a tire shop charge to balance a wheel? Ten bucks? I heard Walmart does
it for eight.

And how often do you need wheels balanced? Once every 2-3 years? If you're maintaining
three cars, that means on average four wheels per year, at $10 each. That's $40 per year,
tops.

Divided into the $600 you're going to spend on the balancer, plus probably another $50 in
weights, means it will take you AT LEAST SIXTEEN YEARS to recover the cost.

Sounds like a stupid idea to me.

Or a stryped idea.

Not that there seems to be a lot of difference...