AHilton

Default Endgrain turning help

Your dry wood is just going to be more dust than shavings especially because
you mentioned turning the endgrain. I'm assuming that "use for end grain"
means you're going to be hollowing to some degree and you have a chuck of
some sort to hold your work at only one end.

For working endgrain in a hollowing fashion, you generally want to start out
by using a small square ended (rounded is fine too) scraper and working from
the center outward. You can, of course, use a shallow fluted gouge
(commonly referred to as a spindle gouge) but it's a bit more advanced to
use as are the specialized hollowing tools.

- Andrew

Hi,

I have a "slice" from a willow tree. I am hoping to turn it for the
experience. It is fully dry as it has sat in a garage for over 6 years.

The surfaces has cuts from the chainsaw that are about 1/4-1/2 inch deep.

am looking for any information on how to go about turning it. I see much
posted about turning wood "wet" or green, this slab is bone dry. Are

there
any special tools to use for end grain?

Any help would be appreciated.

-Matt