Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default SOLUTION -- was Cutting cast iron

On Fri, 20 Jun 2014 07:36:10 -0500, Ignoramus27974
wrote:

OK, I have my answer.

Wet 6010 electrodes work really great and cut cast iron like butter.

I tried them today at work and the result is excellent.

You do "dip - cut - dip - cut - etc" and it is very easy to do. One
needs to get a little hang of it, but once you do get it, it is very
straightforward.

I can use my lowest paid guy to do it because it is so simple. It is an
ugly process, but it works great and only needs a working welder -- no
air, plasma etc needed.

I will experiment some more to see if I can use 3/16 electrodes
instead of 1/8.

Thanks a lot to everyone.

I was pretty sure that the 6010 electrodes would work. When I used
them on steel I was amazed at how fast everything melted. I had
forgotten about using wet rod. It really does help because it keeps
the flux from burning off so fast. Thanks for posting your results.
Eric