Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default New furnace ?

On Thursday, June 19, 2014 11:06:17 PM UTC-4, philo* wrote:
On 06/19/2014 06:12 PM, trader_4 wrote:

On Thursday, June 19, 2014 6:56:33 PM UTC-4, philo wrote:

On 06/19/2014 04:22 PM, trader_4 wrote:

Odesigned for heating only. If you're lucky,

it may be adequate for AC too, which it is in many cases. Could be a

problem though if for example it's 2 stories, with the furnace in

basement. Heat rises, so old system might not have enough air capacity

to get enough cold air upstairs to cool properly. Sometimes some simple

things, like adding another return or two upstairs can fix that.

Good point. My wife's studio has no air vent at all, so I installed a

230v baseboard heater. Adding a vent would probably be expensive.

Doh! That's the kind of thing where problems start. You can look at

the logistics, possible routes to get an idea of what's possible.

Sometimes you get lucky, through a corner of a closet for example.

Another option is a minisplit for a room or two, if ducting is impossible

or too costly. But those aren't cheap either, figure $3000.

snip

Here is an idea:

If I get a high efficiency furnace it will not require a chimney...and

if I go with an electric water heater my chimney will not be used at all.

I wonder if the ducts could then be run up the unused chimney?

The room with no vents is directly adjoining the chimney.

You could run something up there. Depends on the size
of the chimney and the room. Small room could do with
one register. Larger should have two. A return would
be good too. Probably not much room in a chimney sized
for a furnace/WH.