Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default new motherboard

On Thu, 19 Jun 2014 10:30:57 -0500, "Terry Coombs"

On Thursday, June 19, 2014 9:09:01 AM UTC-4, Karl Townsend wrote:
I'm looking for a new motherboard and haven't really kept up with

computer technology for several years now.

If I can re-use the CPU, I will save the cost of this part PLUS
greedy

greedy M$oft won't make me pay for ANOTHER win 7 OS disk. I don't
want

to reuse it if I'm being penny wise and pound foolish.

I deal mostly with high voltage circuitry/devices, but I did see this
in yahoo answers, recently. It seems pretty urgent. I think you
should read it.

Reusing a "CPU...You won't find a current motherboard to accept it"

"OK first, NEVER reuse a power supply. I don't care if the power
supply is 6 months old. Good power supplies last about 5 years
maximum, usually. AVERAGE quality power supplies will go 2-3 years if
you are lucky. And when they die (not if, WHEN) they have a nasty
habit of destroying other components.
Always use a good quality BRAND NEW power supply for a new
build...or even a major upgrade!

If your computer is more than a year old, you might be able to reuse
some disk drives. And yes, if your case is good quality, you can
probably reuse that.

For the most part though, if your system is more than a few years
old it's better to start over from scratch.

Case...cheap enough, do you really want to keep the old one?
Power supply...NEVER use the old one
Motherboard...won't be compatible with well, anything you want to
use.
CPU...You won't find a current motherboard to accept it
RAM...You won't find a current motherboard to accept it. If you do
find that motherboard, you do not want to buy it.
Video card...Might not fit current motherboards, but is terribly
outdated anyway. Get rid of it.
Hard Drive...will slow down your new hardware, UNLESS the hard drive
is much newer than the rest of your current system
Optical drive...yeah, you could reuse it. but 5-7 years old? That's
got to be close to the end of its useful life anyway (replace it for
like 17 bucks)

Basically, start over from nothing.

Another reason you want to replace EVERY component is quite simple...

Whenever you are building a new system, you want to have a COMPLETE,
working system handy...in case you need to hop on the web to research
something during the build process. "

-- https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...7150523AABz3nK

(in other words, everything is now designed to become obsolete too
quickly for reuse)

IMO much of what you just said is bull**** . MB's are available all over
the place for AM3 /quad core processors , and DDR3 RAM is still currewnt
technology . I do agree with replacing the optical drive and power supply
though . Keep the old ones as backups ...
And Karl , you should be able to use the same Win7 license in a new build
. Might have to call M$ to activate it , I've had to do that when re-using
XP licenses .
--
Snag

Depends what kind of licence you have. If you got stuck with an OEM
licence attached to a pre-install with only a restore disk (not a full
microsoft install) not only can you not legally use it on a different
computer (and a different motherboard makes it a different computer in
Microsoft's eyes) but in many cases it physically will not install on
the new computer. If it is a pre uefi system you might be able to
install the running hard drive, but you may not be able to re-install.