Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default new motherboard

On 2014-06-19, mike wrote:
On 2014-06-19, Karl Townsend wrote:

[ ... ]

OK, I'm looking for a file storage and internet surfer machine, don't
need blazing speed, or a lot of memory.

If you are tired of paying Microsoft every time you change the
color adjustment on your monitor -- let alone make some more substantial
change -- why not go to some version of linux. Nothing you have listed
above seems to exclusively call for Windows -- unlike certain CAD
programs or the like which may only be *made* for Windows.

[ ... ]

Linux certainly has its place.
But
There are serious issues with compatibility with your decades of
previous work.
Sure, you can get MUCH of the functionality you need,
as long as you're willing
to learn new apps, new procedures, new everything, and convert your data
and just say goodbye to stuff
that isn't compatible. The devil is in the details of that small
percentage of stuff isn't supported in linux, but you feel you
MUST be able to do.

Note my text above, which I'll move down here again:

Nothing you have listed above seems to exclusively call for
Windows -- unlike certain CAD programs or the like which may
only be *made* for Windows.

Nothing that he had listed above as his intended use *required*
Windows, or compatibility with Windows programs. He mentioned nothing
about CAD programs or others which really needed Windows to maintain
compatibility. All he *said* that he wanted was file storage, and
internet surfing. If he is already using Thunderbird, that would not
even require any re-learning. It works pretty much the same on any OS
for which it is available.

Now -- if the "file storage" listed above includes files created
by applications which are not available for linux -- *that* could be a
problem. But for all we know, they are plain text files -- or even
files created by MicroSoft Word (use LibreOffice to access those).

And -- if he had to, he *could* run the current Windows on a
virtual machine inside the linux. Yes, a little slower -- but it could
be recreated (very quickly) from a backup whenever he needs to run it
and then waved goodby to when he shuts off the machine -- thus blowing
away any virus infections from incautious browsing. Just make sure to
back up any newly-crated files that he really *needs* to preserve.

Then there's the issue that every version of every linux distro
seems to feel the need to change everything at each release.
Just as you're starting to get a handle on it, it changes.
Much the same function with different methods. CHAOS!!

So -- don't upgrade if you are happy with what works already.
I've got systems running Sun's Solaris from back in version 2.6, and
some machines which I would have to use SunOs 4.1.1 or earlier to run.

FWIW, MS has never been "on my back." Virtually every computer
comes with it and it just works. But I do ride the linux
mechanical bull when I need amusement. Damn thing keeps throwing
me off.

Have you tried moving your Windows disks to a new machine
without getting Microsoft's blessing first? They are the only ones I
know of who make that difficult on purpose.

I'm itching to assist anyone wishing to convert to linux.
Just send me your old windows install DVD. COA and the license keys.
I'll put 'em to use and prevent you backsliding into windows.
Just doin' my part to speed the world's conversion to linux on the desktop.

For me -- no worry about backsliding into Windows. I've been
using unix (various flavors) since before Windows came out. I've used
it only when I needed a "popular" OS for programs which don't support
less popular ones. Now, for that I have a token Mac Mini. Things like
income tax software and GPS update programs are what cause me to use a
"popular" OS.

Back when I did that with Windows, I typically did not boot that
machine more often than perhaps three times in a year.

Email me them windows license keys you'll not be using.

And, of course, all this linux talk has zero to do with what motherboard
he chooses.
OR metalworking!

Well ... programming in raw machine language is (or was) called
"Programming on the bare metal". But almost nobody does that any more. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail