Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Auto repair shop parts markup

On Thursday, June 19, 2014 4:49:32 PM UTC-7, Steve Walker wrote:
On 6/18/2014 12:15 PM, rangerssuck wrote:

The wife's car was making some rubbing noise from a rear wheel. I pulled of the wheel and found significant (structural) rust on the brake drum. I didn't have time to do this myself, so I took it to a local garage where they've done good work for me in the past.

I checked the price of drums & shoes on Autozone's web site (there's actually an Autozone store directly across the street from this garage), and figured an hour & a half for labor. It turns out that I was spot on with the labor, but he charged me almost exactly DOUBLE Autozone's price for the parts.

I gotta figure that he get's maybe a 15 or 20 percent discount on the parts, and I would have been OK with a 20 or 25% markup over list, but this seems kind of excessive. He's entitled to earn a living and all, but a hundred bucks to walk across the street?

It's been a long time since I was in the mechanic business, and I'm wondering whether this is the new normal?

I have a friend who has had his own auto repair business for 34 years

now. He will not install anything but factory parts on his repairs,

other than iol filters, batteries and the like. Brake parts, engine

parts, suspension parts, dealer only. Markup for him is 15 percent above

his cost. Maybe that's why he is still in business after so long.

The quality of aftermarket brake parts has deteriorated dramatically over the last decade. On the other hand, you can get a quality brand new NAPA alternator (not rebuilt) that is made in Mexico and carries a lifetime warranty.

When it comes to brake rotors or brake drums I'd pay extra for OEM parts and buy them from the dealer.

Notice how the OP still hasn't posted what kind of brake parts were used. He probably doesn't have the guts to ask the shop that did the work.