Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Cutting cast iron

On Thu, 19 Jun 2014 16:52:14 -0500, Ignoramus10918

On 2014-06-19, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ignoramus10918 fired this volley in
news
I need to cut some iron castings. What can I do, perhaps with a special
welding rod or 6010?

Ig,
Depending upon the web thickness a good hard recip blade works wonders.

Lloyd

These are 1-2 inch castings

I can't speak to cast iron and welding rod as I haven't cut it with
anything but a plasma torch but I have used 3/16" 60xx rod running at
300 amps to easily burn through 1" steel. My son and I cut up a lathe
with my plasma cutter. The plasma cutter is rated at 10 inches per
minute for 3/4" steel. We cut through 3" thick cast iron with it by
veeing out the cut. Once we got the hang of it we could sever the cast
iron pretty darn fast.
Eric